Kolkata, the former capital of India
presents the cultural splendor of the east. The city bears the
impressions of the historical landmarks set by some of the greatest
reformers of India. The city has progressed with an immense pace and
today stands as one of the leading cities and metropolis of the
developing nation. Kolkata is the hub of commercial activities in India
East. The city presents a mouthful of attractions that have a great
historical importance. Before making a trip to it is important to know
some facts about that place some of which include:
- The nomenclature of the city has been quite uncertain which has
lead to so many names by which it is popular. The city has been
popular as Calcutta but local population prefer Kalikata, the
supposed original name. In 2001 the city was officially renamed as
Kolkata and the said stands till date.
- Kolkata is the largest metropolitan city of India. The city is
also home to a great population, about 13 million. Kolkata is the
birth place of some of the legendary people of India like
Rabindranath Tagore, Swami Vivekananda, Subhash Chandra Bose.
- The places worth visiting in Kolkata are Eden Gardens, Maidan and
Fort William, Victoria Memorial, Saint Pauls Cathedral,
Nakhoda Mosque, Marble Palace, Paresnath Jain Temple, Belur Math,
Kali Temple, Mother Teresas homes, Botanical Gardens.
- The city is one of the largest jute producing city in the world.
- If you happen to land in Kolkata never miss the chance to taste
the palatable Bengali sweets.