» Address :B.B.D,Bagh, Kolkata
» Phone No - 033-22355601,22353371
Writer's Building is situated in BBD Bag, Kolkata.
About Writer's Building
A massive red building was originally built as a residence for the
British East India Company's clerical and administrative staff
called as writers, hence the name Writers' building. This building
summarises the political revolution of Bengal. The Chief Minister's
office is also located in this building.
Modification of Writer's Building
Kolkata's present Writers' Building was first started as early as
1690. Within the periphery of the old fort, the junior writers or
clerks of the East India Company used to stay in mud hovels. So it
came to be known as the 'Writers' Building'. On 25th June, 1695,
these hovels were destroyed by a tempest. Then, the second Writers'
Building was constructed inside the old fort. In 1706, the new
one-storeyed brick-built building was built. The other Writers'
Building stood at the place where the G.P.O. or Fairly Place stand
The Writers' Building is well-maintained and perhaps does not face
the threat of demolition by enterprising real estate developers in
the near future. But the area surrounding the building, especially
to its north, is in a state of utter chaos in contrast to its main
entrance facing south.
The basic works of today's Writers' Building popularly known as
'Mahakaran' was completed in 1780. Then later, Barwell, the friend
of Hastings and a member of the Committee, became the owner of this
house. His children, handed over it to a trustee board which in turn
was again rented to the Company. The Britons started using this
house as private business and for fun and frolics. So the Company
began to impose many restrictions on them which resultantly made the
house vacant. In fact, the Fort William College of Kolkata was also
established here in 1800. The College was however shifted from there
in 1830. Later in 1836, Lord Bentinck prohibited the indiscriminate
use of the house for private affairs. Between 1877 - 1882, Lt.
Governor Ashley Eden founded the linchpin of the Government
Department at this place. The present gigantic building covers 2.8
acres of land. It is 235 yards in width. A cluster of thirteen
four-storeyed buildings, the 'Mahakaran' stands on 10 acres of land.
Today, at least 6000 employees work here.